Saturday, July 26, 2008

Keep a Cow, Part 2

Last summer we brought home a calf from my dad's ranch. My daughter learned how to care for and love an animal. She fed her, provided water for her and played with her. In the fall, we sold her and Chloe learned about paying tithing and saving money. We had had a great time raising our "Pink Bow" calf last year.

(To see "Keep a Cow: Part 1", click on this link:
http://seeklearningyourldsneighborhood.blogspot.com/2008/05/keep-cow.html)

This year, in the latter part of June, a calf was born on the open range. It was struggling and Grandpa decided to bring him back to the ranch. We decided to bring this calf home as well. My daughter and her cousin named him "Dillon".

Dillon continued to struggle. We tried to feed him with a bottle and from a bucket. We bought calf manna and oats, but he didn't want to eat. It became the daily struggle to force him to eat. Without enough of the proper nourishment, he lost strength and two weeks later he died.

Sometimes when you "keep a cow", the lesson for you and your child is not one of work and its associated blessings, but one of life, death and the plan of salvation. This summer, keeping a cow became a tutorial in the plan of salvation and I witnessed again the tender mercies of a loving Heavenly Father and a loving husband.

I married a wonderful man who has a profound love for all of God's creatures. As Dillon continued to struggle, I watched my husband watch over this calf with greater attention and love. He built a small pen for the calf so he would have shade from the 90-plus degree heat and better access to water and the calf manna. He helped the calf to stand and made him walk. He took buckets of water and scrubbed the scoury poop off his hind quarters and worked and worked to get him to eat. As it became apparent that Dillon was not going to live, my sweetheart led our family in prayer to ask for a mortal release for this animal.

The death of this calf brought memories flooding back to me of Russell and his dad. Russell learned his love of animals through the example of his father. Russell's father loved all animals and fed every stray that came his way. Three years earlier, my father-in-law passed away from leukemia, just two weeks after his diagnosis. My husband took care of his father the same way. Showing greater love and attention; applying lip salve to cracked, dry lips; washing off his body; helping him to walk; giving him sips of water; making him comfortable; praying for an earthly release.

Doesn't our Heavenly Father also take care of us like this in the midst of our trials in this earthly existence? "My work and my glory is to bring to pass the immortality and eternal life of man," says the Lord in Moses 1:39.

Then why do we insist on doing it alone? Isn't He trying to help us walk, encouraging us to eat, applying salve to our wounds, finding shelter for us? "Come unto me all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light." (Matt. 11:28-30)

We were able to teach our four-year old about Heavenly Father's plan-the plan of salvation. As she cried about Dillon, she also cried about Grandpa and missing him. We know and testify, "the grave must deliver up its captive bodies and the bodies and the spirits of men will be restored one to the other; and it is by the power of the resurrection of the Holy One of Israel." (2 Nephi 9:12)

Although Dillon is gone, some new chicks (Leah, Sam, Sammy, Chicky and Rayla) have joined the family. I was hoping for some fresh eggs in a few months, but I need to remember-I'm raising a daughter-and I'm afraid we have roosters!

1 comment:

Lisa Loo said...

What a great story! Thanx for sharing and what a great gift you are giving your daughter. Best wishes---