Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Increase Your Flocks

My parents always spoke of college in terms of "when you go" not "if you go" but the day I actually left for college was one for the record books. We left our home and after only 6 miles I started to cry. I cried during the remaining 100 miles and then cried some more when my family left me at my dorm.

I had planned and saved for years and it wasn't that I didn't want to go, I was simply scared of being away from my family and scared of all the big unknowns: Will I be able to find my way around campus? Will I be able to pass my courses? Who are my roommates and will they like me? Will I have any friends?

These are questions that students ask whether they are entering kindergarten or college. In time, students will know the campus, will know what they must do to pass the courses and will make friends, easily or painfully.

How can we help our children start the school year well, regardless of how old they are or the number of years they have attended school?

Amulek taught, "Cry unto his holy name, that he would have mercy upon you...Cry unto him when ye are in your fields, yea, over all your flocks...Cry unto him over the crops of your fields, that ye may prosper in them...Cry over the flocks of your fields, that they may increase." (Alma 34:17, 20, 23, 24)

All things are spiritual to the Lord (D&C 29:34) and He cares about our children's school work and friendships. In fact, many of the struggles our children face may have been designed to bring about the Lord's purposes.

We (both parents and children) need to cry unto Him about school and coursework that our children may prosper in them.

Once my father purchased a very expensive bull that became very ill. Mom and Dad were quite upset thinking this bull would die. When Mom mentioned to a friend the plight of this bull, she told my mom to pray for the bull. When Mom questioned the appropriateness of a prayer for a bull, her friend quoted Alma. Wasn't this bull a part of our field and flocks? So-humbled we prayed, and the bull lived.


We need to pray in regard to our friends that they may increase. "Increase" is an interesting word. Webster's Dictionary defines increase as "to make or become greater, as in number, size or quality." Sometimes we need more (the number of) friends; sometimes we need better (quality) friends.

For the Strength of Youth states, "Choose your friends carefully. They will greatly influence how you think and act, and even help determine the person you will become. Choose friends who share your values so you can strengthen and encourage each other in living high standards. A true friend will encourage you to be your best self.

To have good friends, be a good friend yourself. Show interest in others and let them know you care about them. Treat everyone with kindness and respect. Go out of your way to be a friend to those who are shy or do not feel included." (p.12)

After a few weeks at college, I realized that no one there knew that I was the nerd from my local high school. I decided that I could reinvent myself and become the person I wanted to be. I wanted to be friendly, outgoing and confident instead of shy, introverted and afraid of my own shadow but that meant I had to say hello to people, start conversations with people I did not know and participate in school and ward functions. It was hard but became easier the more I did it.

Elder David A. Bednar reminds us, "Meaningful prayer requires both holy communion and consecrated work...We press forward and persevere in the consecrated work of prayer, after we say "amen", by acting upon the things we have expressed to Heavenly Father."

Consecrated work in fields and flocks may be difficult. A prospering field of school may require hours of study and labor and increasing friend flocks may demand a departure from friends who do not lift and encourage. Neither is easy and both involve sacrifice.

"Be willing to work diligently and make sacrifices to obtain learning." (For the Strength of Youth, p. 9) One of my life's greatest joys is my college education. I prospered in my fields and increased my flocks there, and that prosperity and increase has continued to "help me be an influence for good in the world, and...open the doors of opportunity" to me and my family. (p. 9)

3 comments:

Melanie said...

Hey fellow flocker! Encouraging words. I think we enter many schools in life that bring us to our knees. Great article!

Unknown said...

As a therapist and a parent of nine children, I have found that creating a loving supportive environment is key to helping our children adjust and grow. Even this won't eliminate the fear and anxiety, but it will give them a safe place to go to talk through it. With a lot of love and a lot of listening and validation, they will not only survive, but thrive! I also suggest parents avoid giving lots of unsolicited advice.

Craig M. Rollo, M.S., LMFT
takecharge@craigrollo.com

Heidi A. said...

Thank you for a great article and for great reminders on how to make things better. I love knowing that we can pray over all things. The Lord is aware and mindful of all of us; his children away at earth school!