Wednesday, October 1, 2008

At Ease in Zion

When I taught French, I took several student groups to Europe. From the experience of others and that of my own, I had a few rules students and chaperones were asked to follow as we traveled. Two of the most important were:

1. Carry your money and your passport on your body at all times, even while sleeping!

2. Never leave doors or windows open or propped open at hotels.

In 1996, I departed with a great group of students and advisors for a 15-day trip to London, Paris and Rome. After 5 marvelous days exploring London, we rode the Chunnel to Paris and during our first night there, I met one of my former host families for dinner. That morning as I arose I didn't feel quite right but brushed it off. It wasn't until we were on the Metro that the full impact of the dinner the night before made itself known.

For the next four days, I toured my Parisian hotel, traveling from my bed to the bathroom. By our last night in Paris, I was sick of being sick. It was unseasonably warm and I was sweaty, sticky and hot! Throwing caution to the wind, I unstrapped my money belt, took off my passport holder, threw open the windows hoping for a breeze and promptly fell asleep.

I awoke the next morning feeling much better. My fever had broken and I had slept well. We would check out of the hotel and travel by overnight train to Italy. I showered, dressed and went to put on my watch, earrings and necklace-but where was my little travel jewelry case? and my purse? and my eyeglass case? and my MONEY! and my PASSPORT!

I woke my roommate and together we searched the entire room, finding nothing. Opening the door to go to the front desk revealed my empty purse and eyeglass case. Obviously, a thief had visited me in the night and had taken my things of value and discarded the rest.

Instead of spending my final day in Paris visiting the Eiffel Tower, the Louvre or Les Champs Elysee, I toured the American Embassy and the American Express office for a new passport and new traveler's checks.

How did I let this happen to me? Why did I break my own rules?

I felt comfortable in Paris. I had traveled there and lived there several times. I disobeyed the rules-my rules-because I felt secure and didn't feel well.

Isn't this a favorite temptation of Satan?

"And others will he pacify and lull them away into carnal security, that they will say: all is well in Zion; yea Zion prospereth, all is well-and thus the devil cheateth their souls, and leadeth them away carefully down to hell." 2 Nephi 28:21

How many times have we rationalized personal prayers, family scripture study, family home evening, tithing, food storage because we felt "secure" or "comfortable"?

Perhaps it is when we feel secure or comfortable that we should be the most worried. What if our "trial" is not one of poor health, addiction, wayward children, financial instability or abusive relationships but one, instead, of security?

How might we avoid the inevitable "cheating of our souls" and "leading away carefully down to hell"?
  • Keep an eternal perspective. Knowing where we ultimately want to be will help us make choices daily that will get us there. "Choose you this day whom ye will serve; but as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord." (Joshua 24:15)
  • Remember line upon line; precept upon precept. We will not have a perfect family home evening every time but as we try and succeed and try and fail, we will learn and grow together.
  • Energize personal scripture study, especially the Book of Mormon. Are we simply reading the scriptures or are we studying them? Do we need to enliven our scripture study? Study the scriptures in conjunction with "Preach My Gospel", "Young Women Personal Progress", "Faith in God" or the "Addiction Recovery Program."
  • Pray with real intent. As we pray with real intent, we invite the Holy Ghost to teach us truth. Heavenly Father will instruct us in our "security" and we will know what we must personally do to remain steadfast and immovable.

Although I had lulled myself into security, I was quick to realize my mistakes and repent. The Lord showered his tender mercies upon me. After a long day, I boarded a night train to Italy with a new passport (with a great picture!), new traveler's checks and my students!

"Therefore, blessed are they who will repent and hearken unto the voice of the Lord their God; for these are they that shall be saved." Helaman 12:23.

1 comment:

Cindy Beck, author said...

Good analogy in this story. I've never thought about one of our trials being "security."

Thanks for your interesting thoughts.