Wednesday, May 20, 2009

"Mom, I'm Bored!"

"Mom, I'm bored!" Ughhh. I don't want to hear those words.

I want my family to enjoy the summer recess but I also want them to retain all of the things they learned in school, especially reading. I do not want them to lose any of the reading skills that were so hard to gain.

After researching summer reading ideas at Reading Rockets (one of my favorites!) and reading "Five Free and Easy Tips for Summer Learning" by Brenda McLaughlin adn Jane Vorhees Sharp, I used their article to devise my summer rules for learning, fun and avoiding boredom.

1. We will not be swimming, playing with friends, and being entertained 24/7. You, my child, will need to entertain yourself for some time each and every day. It's an important skill to learn and together we will brainstorm lots of ideas to "Entertain Myself" and place them in a jar. When you get bored, don't tell me or complain to me. If you do, I will hand you the toilet brush and you can get scrubbing. If that is not what you want to do, select a slip of paper from the jar.

2. We will read everyday. As a family, we will read books together, including the scriptures. My family's first read-aloud selection for the summer is Charlotte's Web. Additionally, everyone (mom and dad too!) will read for 30 minutes each day.

"Reading aloud benefits all children and teens, especially those who struggle." Alexander, F. Three Ways to Prevent Summer Slide. www.scholastic.com

3. We will use math everyday. We will do some math from a workbook but we will also count how many steps it takes from the car to the grocery store door and hopping on all the 5's. We will build something that requires some geometry and measurement. We will cook and use fractions. We will practice math facts as we drive to the swimming pool.

"The largest summer learning losses for all children occur in mathematical computation, an average of 2.6 months" (Cooper, 1996)

4. We will get outside and play. We will go to the park for lunch; to the swimming pool; play in our own inflatable pool and slide; play a favorite sport together; learn a new sport; go for walks; take a hike; weed the garden; mow the lawn; play with the dog, cat, chickens or calves; ride our bikes.

5. We will write everyday. I do not consider myself to be a "writer" and most weeks wonder why in the world I write this blog and wonder why anyone would read it. Most often, writing is a painful process and takes every bit of my stamina and a 100% effort.

Since writing really isn't something I enjoy, I also don't enjoy or keep a very good journal, but my daughter and I will write in a journal everyday. Five-year olds say and do the cutest things and my daughter is no exception, so why have I not kept a record of them? Laziness. It might take me ten minutes to record the precious moments of the day and my daughter seems to enjoy writing so I need to encourage her.

She also loves to share with others so I see notes to the neighbors, cards to grandmas, and stories made into books.

"More freshman entering degree-granting postsecondary institutions take remedial writing courses than take remedial reading courses." (NCES 2003)

6. We will serve others. King Benjamin taught us that "ye will teach them to love one another and serve one another." I love to serve others and also love to teach my kids to serve. Last year as my daughter and I planned her birthday party, we talked about how blessed she is and the need to help others. Together, we decided to help a favorite local charity and her princess invitations asked guests to bring a gently-used toy to be donated to a local royal charity.

To prepare her to give her "presents" away, we talked about the kids who would receive them. We went through her toys to select one that she would donate. We drove past the charity's office.
When the party day arrived, she opened all of the gifts and placed them in a large basket, eagerly telling her friends about the kids who needed them and the toys she selected to donate too. Afterwards we delivered them and there was joy on the faces of all the kids and adults, including hers!

This spirit of giving has continued throughout the year. She has given several toys to others who needed them more than her. When school started, she gave backpacks filled with school supplies to that favorite charity and more kids. Her birthday is just around the corner and she wants to do the same thing again.

This summer we plan on adopting our street to keep it clean, selling lemonade to buy chickens for families through Heifer International, and coloring ABC books for Humanitiarian Services.

"Mom, let's get the lemonade made!" Yeah! That's what I hope I hear this summer.

2 comments:

Cami Checketts said...

Thank you, Belinda. I love these ideas, especially the "Entertain Myself" jar.
Hope you have a wonderful summer with your family,
Cami

Jen said...

You're an inspiration Belinda! We're going to pass these ideas along...(Thanks for sharing them!)

David and Jenny