Friday, December 4, 2009

Use the Dishes

I hosted the Thanksgiving feast this year. As my sisters and I discussed the details, they slyly asked if I would consider using paper plates. Paper plates? for Thanksgiving dinner? I think NOT!

I love dishes. I inherited this love from my grandmas. Mommie Jane had lots of beautiful dishes and one of my favorite memories is of tea parties. She would make pigs-in-blankets and punch and let my friends and I have tea parties with her beautiful dishes. I loved to drink my punch out of the green glasses with lots of bubbles. My mom was always concerned that we would break them but I never remember Grandma worrying about it. All I remember is her love as she would help us retrieve the dishes, set the table, pour the punch and eat our treats.

Grandma Alice loved dishes too. She had certain dishes for certain things.


This glass was for orange juice.



This bowl was for shrimp cocktails.

My mom had dishes too. But now they're mine.


These are the dessert cups that I remember holding rice pudding, tapioca pudding and ice cream. We like hot fudge sundaes in them.

And I have more dishes.



These plates wouldn't be a big deal for most of you, but I speak French, taught French and love all things French. Using these plates bring me joy.

Using all of my dishes brings me joy. Yes, handwashing the dishes can be a burden, but it can also be a great bonding time between moms and daughters, grandmas and sisters. Don't let the inherited dishes or the fancy dishes sit in the china cupboard. Use them to celebrate one another, celebrate Christmas and celebrate fond memories.

2 comments:

Kayleen said...

I, too, love special dishes!

Heidi said...

My niece has no hope. Both Grandmas on both side have an obsession for dishes. I too inherited that love from Mom and she from Grandma Anderson. I did not know this about you. Fun to learn something new about my great sister in law! Maybe it skips a generation. Grandma Hawks was not so into dishes as her mother and mom! Hope you guys are having a great time in Park City. Wish we were able to be there and have fun with you guys!