Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Thanksgiving Everyday

A question and answer time was a part of a group activity at a rehabilitation center and the question focused on Thanksgiving celebrations. As the turn reached a certain woman, she replied that she was a Jehovah's Witness and didn't celebrate the holiday but made "Thanksgiving" part of everyday.

Do we make thanksgiving a part of everyday? Amulek counsels us to "live in thanksgiving daily, for the many mercies and blessings which he doth bestow upon you." (Alma 34:38)

Are you unhappy and unsatisfied with your life? Perhaps the key to becoming happy and satisfied lies in a grateful heart. In For the Strength of Youth it says, "Live with a spirit of thanksgiving and you will have greater happiness and satisifaction in life. Even in your most difficult times, you can find much to be grateful for. Doing so will strengthen and bless you."

How can we cultivate a life full of gratitude every day?

Pray. In the pattern of prayer set forth by the Lord, we are to thank Him before asking for blessings. Try dedicating one of your daily prayers to express only gratitude. "Pray unto him continually by day, and give thanks unto his holy name by night." (2 Nephi 9:52)

Write. Grab a pen and a notecard and send a note to someone who did something nice for you or you family each week. What about a gratitude journal? Both of these are great Sabbath day activity for the whole family.

Discuss. At dinner or before family prayer each night, ask each member of the family a question. It can be the same question each day or rotate them.

"What were you most grateful for today?"


"What blessings have been added to our 'blessing basket'?"
(Bonnie D. Parkin, "Gratitude: A Path to Happiness, Ensign, May 2007, 34-36)


Did God send a message that was just for me?"
or
"Did I see His hand in my life or the lives of my children?"
(Pres. Henry B. Eyring, "O Remember, Remember", Ensign, Nov. 2007, 66-69)


Serve. Remember a time when someone did something nice for you. How did you feel? Have you ever served someone and not felt better afterward? I think that might be impossible. Share that feeling and pass it along with a simple act of service.
What am I grateful for this season?
A wonderful husband who loves me despite my crankiness and his ability to do anything!
A beautiful daughter who brings so much joy, happiness and laughter.
Two amazing stepdaughters who rescue me from bad hair days and help their little sister learn to read.
Two gentlemen who treat my step-daughters with respect and great care.
Sisters and our lunches, late-night shopping trips, and good talks.
A wonderful mom and dad who love me, taught me how to work, and keep reminding me to mind my words.

Friends with whom I have fun, learn new things and support me.

Good health.

A good job.

The gospel of Jesus Christ which has brought every good thing to my life.

I'd love to know what you are grateful for. Leave a comment with your list.

Happy Thanksgiving.



No comments: